ASTA MD/DC Chapter Mini-Conference
one day VIRTUAL mini-conference through zoom!
SundayApril 18, 2021 9:00 am-6:00 pm EST
+ Happy Hour Jam & Social AT 6:00pm!
The annual mini conference is bigger than ever with Eleven outstanding sessions OFFERing ideas AND STRATEGIES that will add a little spring to your string teaching!
Attend Sessions with: Chenoa Alamu, Dr. Jeremy Dittus, Flat.io, Dr. Molly Gebrian, Katie Glassman, Christian Howes, Dan Levitov, Noteflight, Dalton Potter, Carrie Salisbury & Megan Shung, and Edmund Sprunger!
Full Session Descriptions and Presenter Bios HERE
- ASTA Members & College Students: $20 minimum (suggested $35)
- Non Members: Early Bird By April 1st! $40 (suggested $50)
- Non Members: After April 1st $50 (suggested $65)
We have set flexible ticket options to address the financial challenges that have affected so many during 2020-2021. Please select the minimum payment ticket fee as noted below and if possible, add a donation ticket. Your donations help support our chapter so we may continue to provide meaningful experiences for our members.
Can’t attend everything? No frets, all registered teachers receive access to replays of MOST sessions through June 1st!
Join the ASTA MD/DC String Education Community to:
- Connect with colleagues!
- Lunch Box Break Out with Jim Kelly and an updates on National Philharmonic
- Happy Hour Jam & Celebration led by Katie Glassman, National Fiddle Champion
- Collaborate in live sessions using online tools, and strategies for teaching and practice
- Create music by ear, sheet music and online notation platforms
- Compose with two options for online notation tools
- Check in on wellness, teacher student relationships, the latest brain research, and the care and repair of instruments
Prior to the event, registered participants will receive a link to two zoom rooms for live attendance of sessions. We hope you enjoy the convenience of both the live and replay options for most of these valuable sessions.
Thank you to our sponsor, Potter Violins for all you do to serve our community of string teachers!
9:00-10:00 Kitchen Table Repairs, Dalton Potter
10:15-11:15 Introduction to Black Classical Composers, Chenoa Alamu
11:30-12:30 Solfège with a Smile: Dalcroze Education and Embodied Ear Training, Dr. Jeremy Dittus
12:45-1:30 Lunch Box Break Outs on Zoom – Social time and special guests
1:30-2:45 Leading Extraordinary Lessons Online & Beyond, Carrie Salisbury&Megan Shung
3:00-4:15 Super Session on Improvisation, Harmony and Entrepreneurship for String Teachers , Christian Howes
4:30-5:45 When the Teacher’s Feelings Hurt, Edmund Sprunger (THIS SESSION WILL NOT BE RECORDED)
6:00pm Happy Hour Celebration and Jam led by Katie Glassman (THIS WILL NOT BE RECORDED)
9:00-10:00 Flat.io Notation
10:15-11:15 Noteflight – Learn for Composition, Recording & Assessment
11:30-12:30 What Musicians Can Learn About Practice from Brain Research,
Dr. Molly Gebrian
1:30-2:45 Developing Practice Technique: Using Private Lesson Time to Build Creative
and Productive Musicians, Dan Levitov
3:00-4:15 Practice Like a Champion, Katie Glassman
- April 18, 2021
9:00 am - 7:00 pm