- May 5, 2019
12:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Montgomery County Music Teachers Association &
American String Teachers Association, MD/DC Chapter
H. Stevens Brewster, Jr., Memorial Competition for Strings
Junior Division (Grades 7-9)
Senior Division (Grades 10-12)
Registration Deadline: April 8, 2019. Applications postmarked after that date will not be accepted.
Date: May 5, 2019. Times to be assigned.
Place: Potter Violins, 7711 Eastern Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912
Entry Fee: Senior Level – $35 per entry. Junior Level – $30 per entry.
Make ONE check payable to MCMTA for all of your students, and mail it to the address on the application form.
Application form: Click here to download the application form.
Eligibility: This competition is open to string students who have studied with the presenting teacher for at least 6 months. The teacher must be a member of ASTA MD/DC Chapter or MSMTA with an active studio in Maryland or the District of Columbia. First Prize winners from a previous competition are not eligible to enter at the same level.
Senior Level – Cash prizes of $200, $175 and $150
Junior Level – Cash prizes of $175, $150 and $100
Two works of contrasting styles and periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary. A concerto movement qualifies as one selection.
Maximum Playing Time:
Senior Level – 12 minutes
Junior Level – 10 minutes
- Students must be prepared to play entire movement or composition, although judges may ask only for specific sections.
- All music is to be performed from memory except sonatas from the Classical and later periods. Only one work may be a sonata.
- Compositions must be accompanied if so composed. Contestants must supply their own accompanists.
- No teacher may accompany his/her own student.
- No changes in the program may be made after the application is submitted.
- Published copies of the music are to be presented to the judges; no photocopies are allowed.
- Each level requires a minimum of five entries AND three studios in order for that part of the competition to be held.
ASTA MD/DC Chapter and MCMTA wish to thank Potter Violins for their generous support for this competition.